Southern Girl Layout

May 22, 2011

Flip Flop Swap

I don't know about you, but I covet new sandals this time of year. I look at all the bright colors and I want a pair in every hue! Then reality hits, and I realize that even if I could buy a pair in every color (and my husband didn't kill me), I really wouldn't have room for all of them.

That's when an idea hit me: what if I had some plain sandals with interchangeable ornaments? Then I could satisfy my desire for new colors and styles without taking up so much room, not to mention breaking the bank.

A quick search online told me that some clever girls had already invented these. One girl sells ornaments that are affixed with snaps, and another girl sells some with magnetic decorations. Of course, the deal-breaker for me was that they sell for about $20 for each set of ornaments. Is it just me, or is that a little ridiculous?

So, I offer you my version of flip flops with swap-able ornaments.

You start with a pair of flip flops, to which you glue Velcro dots. I made a pair in white, and a pair in black. Make sure you use very strong glue (I used flip flop glue, available at the craft store):



Then, glue Velcro dots (from Wal-Mart or a home improvement store) to ornaments of your choice. I selected flowers, bows, stones, and acrylic gemstones from the craft store. Just make sure whatever you want to use has a flat back, and that it's large enough for the Velcro dot:



Here are the finished products:


And because I'm a freak about organization, I had to have a fun, attractive way to store all the decorations. So I took strips of Velcro, affixed them to an old photo frame, and mounted it to the back of my closet door:




Warning: I've worn many of the different ornaments already, and several of my friends have asked me to make some for them. Be prepared to make them for your friends, too!








No comments:

Post a Comment