Southern Girl Layout

August 27, 2017

Policeman Themed Bedroom

One of my little grandsons wanted a policeman themed bedroom, and here's what my sweet daughter-in-law and I came up with (the other grandson asked for a fireman themed room, so please be sure to check out that post, at Fireman Themed Room):

First, I created and saved this police car design, put it on a USB drive, and had it blown up at Kinko's. Then, I cut it into thirds and used Mod Podge to attach it to the canvases.

We made coordinating pillow covers with my Silhouette machine (using heat transfer vinyl, which we pressed onto plain pillow covers).

The police car lamp was created from a simple Ikea lamp and a plastic police car. I just drilled a hole through the car, stuck the lamp through it, and used air-dry clay to cover the hole. The bedside table is just a black table, onto which we applied white duct tape so we could get perfectly straight lines. Much easier (and more durable) than painting the table.

I purchased these real metal street signs from Amazon.

I made police hooks using metal police badges (toys purchased from Amazon), attached to metal hooks (also from Amazon; you can search for "Gatco 4245 Latitude II single robe hook, chrome"). I attached them with Gorilla epoxy.

I purchased this cute desk -  which included fabric bins in the perfect colors for the room - online, from Walmart. Then, we added the same police icons that coordinate with the pillows. The images needed a little contrast on the dark bins, so we used white heat transfer vinyl to make a background for each one. Here they are close up:


I made this cute bulletin board by stapling plain black cotton fabric over cork, then I used police tape (also from Amazon) to fit our theme.

 I couldn't resist these police car pushpins from here.

We also added a giant thumbprint to his "detective's desk" (made on my Silhouette machine, but you could just print and Mod Podge an image instead). We then covered his desktop with a piece of clear plastic, to protect the thumbprint - and the desk - from damage.

When I asked the room's new owner to let me take a picture of him next to his favorite thing, this is where he wanted to pose. He loves his new room, especially his desk and bulletin board!

No comments:

Post a Comment