Southern Girl Layout

August 27, 2017

Fireman Themed Bedroom

While one grandson wanted a policeman themed bedroom (you can see it here: Policeman Themed Room), the other requested a fireman room. Here's what their beautiful mom and I came up with.

I used the exact same technique for the fire engine wall hanging as I did for the police car in the post I referenced above: I created and saved the image to a USB drive, printed it out (extra large) at Kinko's, then cut it into thirds. Then, I used Mod Podge to attach it to three large canvases.

We placed it over the bed, and then made three pillow covers with iconic fireman designs on them. For the pillows, we used my Silhouette machine and heat transfer vinyl.

We placed the same images on the fabric bins in his storage cubby.

Here are the bins, close up. How cute are the accessories? That's a toy fire extinguisher on the top left, and fireman boots on the top right. If you know a real fireman, you might be able to score some real gear.

I found this cool sign on Amazon, but when it arrived, it wasn't large enough for the space. Rather than send it back, I mounted it on a piece of flat black canvas.

Here, I drilled a hole into a toy fireman's helmet, and inserted a lamp base purchased by my daughter-in-law at Ikea. We added the yellow stripe (made from duct tape) to tie it into our theme colors. I covered the hole in the helmet with air-dry clay, painted black.

We repeated the same design on this other cubby. The fire hydrant (from Amazon) is actually a plastic storage container. We made the ladder with pieces of wood trim. Very easy!

This is my favorite element in the room. I used bulletin board paper because I don't know how to mount wallpaper (this is the same paper I used for my Harry Potter party; you can see it here: Harry Potter Party). Once we stapled the paper to the wall, I brushed on a heavy coat of Mod Podge to protect it. Then, I added a chair rail and the cutest hooks EVER:

The hooks are from Amazon. You can find them if you search for "fun vintage faucet spigots." 

I freshened up these vintage chairs with paint and added the fireman symbols (cut from my Silhouette machine, but you could use an online image and Mod Podge instead). Then, I made the table, using a wooden table top and very short legs that I purchased from Lowe's. After I painted the legs, I covered the tabletop with a tire cover that we cut down and stapled to it. You can't tell from the photo, but the tire cover (on Amazon, called a "silver diamond plated steel vinyl spare tire cover") looks very much like this, only it is a soft surface:


This little cutie loves his new room!

UPDATE: I found an old fire hose in an online auction, and thought it would be a great addition to the room. It looked a little tired, so I painted it with a bright yellow acrylic craft paint, then I anchored it into the wall, for safety. I think it adds a lot to the room:




You may notice that the "brick" wall looks a little different, too. That's because the bulletin board paper didn't hold up very well over time. I ended up dipping a rectangular-shaped sponge in red paint, and creating the brick pattern on the wall. The porous sponge created realistic-looking "bricks," and I didn't tape off the area or try to make it too perfect. It looks much better now.




No comments:

Post a Comment