Southern Girl Layout

July 27, 2011

Hidden Office

I don't know why, in a large home, finding a spot for my computer desk became a challenge. Maybe it's because my husband's needs got prioritized (as they should, since he's the breadwinner right now), or maybe it's because I like rooms that don't have to serve double-duty. For example, I prefer guest rooms that are always reserved for guests; that way, they don't have identity crises and I don't have to move my personal stuff out when guests move in.

At any rate, I found myself in this situation when we moved into our current home. I definitely wanted my office to be easily accessible, but I wanted our home to look pretty and organized, too. Enter a brainstorm which occurred as I perused a furniture consignment shop: I found a gorgeous armoire which was intended to hold clothing or a television, but I thought it would be a beautiful place for my hidden office.

I bought the armoire, and here's what it looks like; it's in my living room:


Although the inside wasn't set up to be used as an office, all it needed was a pull-out shelf for my computer. Of course, I also added a few more features to make it even more efficient.

Here's what the inside looks like now:






You can see that I added the computer shelf. If you try this yourself, be sure you purchase an armoire with an existing shelf which is the right height for your computer. I measured at home, and I knew a standard chair would fit just under this armoire's bottom. Here is the pullout shelf, close up:



I added baskets for stationary, bills, and office supplies:



On one inside door, I added an adhesive-backed, cut-to-fit, white board:



The other inside door received a corkboard (also adhesive-backed):



The end result is a hidden office area, which is well-organized and in a central location. Happily, it cost less than $650, while "real" computer armoires at a moderately-priced furniture store were over $800, and they were not as ornate nor as well-made.

Have you ever modified any pieces of furniture to better suit your needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment