Southern Girl Layout

December 31, 2011

After-Christmas Shopping

I'm sure we're all out scouring the stores for bargains right now, so I want to give you some potentially new bargain-shopping ideas. This time of year, consider not just looking for discounted Christmas decor, but items for other holidays and projects as well.

4th of July
Last July, I blogged about post-Christmas bargains. Here are some pics of star-shaped Christmas decorations I re-purposed for 4th of July. A little red, white, and blue paint coupled with some imagination transformed them; it was inexpensive and easy!




 


Red, white (or silver) and blue ornaments would look great in July, too. Think about putting them in an apothecary jar - like the ones here - or in a large bowl. They could also be made into an Independence Day wreath. Many stores also carry patriotic-themed Christmas ornaments that can be re-used for the 4th of July.


Valentine's Day
Don’t forget other holidays. Of course, red, pink and white Christmas décor is perfect for Valentine’s Day. Red wrapping paper and gift bags will be in high demand in February; buy it now and save.

Credit: http://www.great-decorating-ideas.com/Homemade-Outdoor-Christmas-Decorations.html


Birthdays
I like to purchase solid-color wrapping paper this time of year. I use it to wrap gifts all year long. Look how plain red and green wrapping paper can be completely changed by using bold, non-Christmas ribbon:



Credit: http://cherishedbydesign.com/category_34/Gift-Boxes.htm

This year, I found some beautiful patterned papers at Hobby Lobby for 60% off. They had red and white, and also a black and white harlequin pattern. The rolls are huge, and less than $3.00 each.


Projects
I can think of a million other ways to use wrapping paper. All you need is some Mod Podge and your creativity (or you can consult www.pinterest.com for ideas). In fact, here's what one crafty blogger did with the exact same paper I found at HobLob:

Credit: http://nostalgicnana.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

Organization and Gifting
Many stores have Christmas baskets which can be used for organizing your house or gift-giving. Yesterday I found these baskets at Michaels for 70% off:
They were much less expensive than their everyday counterparts, so I purchased a number of them and removed the Christmas lining, which I will donate. I'm using the baskets to organize my kitchen cabinets, but they could just as easily be used for non-Christmas gifting:
Speaking of baskets and gifts, wouldn't it save time and money to stock up on gift sets right now, considering they're up to 90% off? Just throw away the Christmas packaging and put the sets in baskets for Valentine's, birthdays, Easter, etc.

I’d love to hear about your finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment