Southern Girl Layout

December 18, 2011

Christmas Tree Skirt II (Cowboy Theme)

The Christmas tree skirt saga continued with a desire for a cowboy-themed tree skirt. The few I found online ranged from $55-$75, and there is no way I would pay that much for something I can make for under $20 and about an hour of my time.

This tree skirt required a little sewing, but nothing complicated, since I don't know how to sew very well. It could be hot-glued together instead.

Necessary supplies were 1.5 yards fabric (mine, from Hobby Lobby, resembles cow hide); trim (I used leather fringe, also from HobLob); batting (if you want to make it "fluffy"); and some remnant fabric for a backing (I used a quilted fabric):


First, I cut all 3 fabrics into circles, then I cut a slit in one side and a circle from the middle:


Next, I put the right sides of the 2 fabrics together and put the batting in the middle.

I pinned all 3 fabrics together, and then sewed around the middle circle, down one side of the slit, and all around the edges.


After that, I turned it inside out (which actually was rightside out) and sewed up the other side of the slit. You can see here that it wasn't perfect by any means:


I used a hot glue gun to add the leather fringe. Here's what it looks like under the tree:

No comments:

Post a Comment