Southern Girl Layout

December 5, 2011

Santa Hats

I cannot take credit for this idea, but I love these decos so much, I made extras so I could give one set to my adorable daughter-in-law. I found them on another blog: http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2009/12/ho-ho-ho-santa-craft.html, and I'm sure I didn't do them justice, but you will get the idea.

The store-bought version cost $45 a set; my version cost about $20.75. I purchased all the supplies at Jo-Ann Fabrics. Here's what they look like when they're finished: 


You will need the following supplies: 3 different sizes of styofoam cones; rhinestone crystals; black vinyl that looks like leather; 3 poms in different sizes, red microsuede (don't buy the stretchy kind); and white fur trim (I used less than 1/4 of a yard). You will also need a hot glue gun and freezer paper or some other large paper (newspaper would work great, too).



I used the paper to make a template for each cone, so I wouldn't make any mistakes when cutting the fabric. Here's what it looked like after I traced the templates onto the fabric and cut each one:


The only step after that was to glue everything together. My tray came from a thrift store for $2; I spray-painted it green, then I added a few holiday bulbs. Thank you, Thrifty Decor Chick!

No comments:

Post a Comment